Many people all day sitting at a desk and in their cars, which has led to increased back pain & problems. This is due in large part to sitting incorrectly. Here are some tips to obtain optimal back health:
- Avoid slouching! Sit upright, but relaxed with a slight arch to your back.
- Use a desk chair with back support built-in or use a rolled up towel or pillow & place in your lower back. You can use the towel or pillow in your car for driving as well
- Keep your head & shoulders upright and face forward. Limit the amount of twisting & turning that you do from your chair
- Use a footrest if you will be sitting for long periods of time
- Keep your desk or keyboard at the correct height and/or distance so as to avoid leaning forward
- Take a break! Get up every hour or so to stretch and/or move around
When sitting in an office chair for a long period, the natural tendency for most people is to slouch over or slouch down in the chair. This will overstretch the spinal ligaments and strain the discs and surrounding structures in the spine. Over time, incorrect sitting posture can damage spinal structures and contribute to or worsen back pain. Some stretches that have been proven helpful to alleviate some of this pain. These include an upper body stretch, shoulder blade squeeze, or arms across chest stretch. When possible, stay active! Go for walks around the office or on your lunch break. A 20-minute walk will help promote healthy blood flow that brings important nutrients to the spinal structures.
by Gina Stallone